the other day i met my friend ashley and we took a stroll through this massive sunflower field near my home in west Michigan. it is seriously acres and acres of fresh blooms and the owner allows people to come and enjoy them and sells the sunflower 2/$1. that is what i just love about west Michigan. People do things like this to bring joy to others expecting nothing in return. While we were there a tour bus of people from the retirement popped in and took turns getting their photos taken on the bench in front of the massive field of blooms. It was one of the sweetest things i’ve ever seen.
As i sit here and write I am at a creative crossroads. What is the intention and purpose of this blog? Since starting it as SuperShopGal in 2009 it has evolved from being about shopping and hair product to marriage, to learning to cook, to loving to cook, to farming, to mom, to mom of a child with some extra care requirements and beyond. Things evolve over time and I’m really trying to figure out what the next phase of this site is.
A few topics I have in mind are..
- Motherhood. I love sharing our journey of Otto with all of you. There is such a community here of amazing aunts, friends and mothers that I genuinely appreciate. If I can assist in encouragement or brighting your day by talking about motherhood I am here for it. We need each other and I love sharing my favorite finds, tips and tricks and things I’ve learned along the way with you.
- Gardening. Gardening has become over the last ten years a huge passion for me. I love the constant discussions on my facebook garden club page. I can easily get swept away in the conversations that happen in that group. It’s amazing to see everyone gardening at different skill levels learning and growing together. My goal is to structure my garden content on here a bit more and share specifically how and what I am doing in the garden.
- Farm and Farmhouse projects. We have a lot going on the farm. From bees to mushrooms to sheep being born. I feel like life gets so busy sometimes that I would love to go more in depth about the projects we are working on here and the progress of farm life. Including but not limited to animals and house projects. Someday we will get that other half of the house done.
- Style. It’s what started this entire thing! I originally started my blog back in 2009 and it was only about sales and deals. My first post was about a curly hair product I found and liked. It’s crazy that for years I didn’t even have photos on the blog! As I’ve grown over the past ten years so as my style. I enjoy assembling outfits and sharing sales with you to this day.
- Antiques. I am antiquing at least an hour a week. I have another facebook group dedicated to flea markets and antiquing and it’s always fun to see what people are finding. I have some ideas of content to create based on a lot of the questions I’ve been asked while out picking. I would love to hear your suggestions as well!
- FOOD. When Joe and I first got married that is when I first started to cook. I had two books and a subscription to Food Network Magazine. Now cooking is a shared interest between Joe and I and I LOVE sharing the recipes we try and create with you. They’re not perfect and they’re not fancy but they are what we eat.
all of the blogging guides and “how to be successful in social media” will tell you to choose a lane. But i’m not a good driver (hence why Joe and I take separate cars to the same office). I have too many interests to just focus on one thing. I love to love things! I am curious what you guys think? What brings you to this space? What keeps me creative and writing is the feedback I get from you. I love writing and I love building this community. This blog would just be pictures and words if not for your input and conversation.
Just as this sunflower field was planted for the enjoyment of friends and strangers, this blog was created to cultivate a community of people with passions. I hope that when you read this and create the recipes that you leave here going about your day a little happier. I’m not always perfect and I hate when I am in creative ruts but every sunflower field experiences a winter right? I am on the cusp of taking things to the next level. My head is bursting with ideas and that is always my best time.
From the bottom of my heart thank you so much for being here and joining this journey. I would love to hear any and all of your comments on suggestions for what you would like to see here. My space is your space. ‘
PS This sunflower field is located on A37 just outside of downtown Allegan. They won’t be in bloom much longer so hurry if you would like to see it!